My mother was murdered on 15 October 2005. Zola Mdyogolo stands trial for her murder from 27 March 2006. This blog tells you what happens.

Thursday, March 30

DAY +3 Some reflections

A few days have passed since the verdict. The overwhelming feeling that I am left with is that not a lot has changed. But on reflection that’s not really true – we have a guilty verdict and Zola Mdyogolo is likely to get a long sentence, if that’s any consolation. The more I think about it, the more important it feels that he was found guilty and not really the sentence that he will receive.

The fact that he admitted guilt so readily may reflect that he realises what he did was wrong, or he may believe it will help with mitigating his sentence. As the article in the paper said, he didn’t express any emotion at the verdict – it’s difficult to know what he really feels or thinks. It seems important that he should express some remorse, but maybe it’s too soon for that and probably we will never know it if he ever does.

Today my sister Louise and I went to see ‘Tsotsi’, a South African movie which won an Oscar this year for the best foreign language/international movie (whatever the category is called.) It’s based on the book of the same name by Athol Fugard, a playwright and novelist of long standing in South Africa. If you get to see it, I guess you might understand a little more about some of the complex issues that contribute to South Africa’s crime statistics that I have talked about before.

Something else I have mentioned before is the Jacob Zuma trial. Attempts by the former Deputy President to have the charge of rape dismissed by the court have failed. The trial will resume on Monday. Some see this as a victory, many others don’t.

I plan to post my last daily blog on Friday and thereafter have updates when there’s anything worth reporting.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sion - I know I keep saying this, but this conversation you are having with us is so important to staying connected. I'll keep checking for postings. You said "it feels like nothing has changed but upon reflection. . . " Well your feelings are so important and although a blog may not be how you choose to keep processing those, I encourage you to continue to be as brave about feeling them (and letting those who love you listen to you express them) as you have been already. I don't expect this to be "over" and I won't ever get tired of hearing anything you want to say. Love - jo

10:25 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sion,
I have followed this tragic journey and wonder how I would cope in the same situation. Last year I lost my mother but never the way you and your family have had to experience . One can only hope that the legal system in South Africa will punish Zola for the crimes he has committed.
John Williams

1:12 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sion,
I have been sharing your experience with my wife and been following your blog. I am just trying to understand how you feel, but then I realise I can´t. I can only imagine it. My wife is reflecting a lot upon the case, as her parents were assassinated when she was just three months old. Sometimes she says your loss is bigger, because you had the opportunity to share time with your mother, whereas she didn´t...thus, she says your feeling of loss may be overwhelming. She sends her sympathies to you.
I lost my mother almost a year ago and my father on january; however, it somehow felt "natural" as they died as a result of illness.
It is good for you to remember how your mother was, the moments you shared, how she made many people happy. Thanks for sharing that with us.
Eduardo

6:19 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home